Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Yom Kippur in Paris

I will be spending Yom Kippur in Paris this October. I do realize that most of the synagogues in Paris are Orthodox. I%26#39;m most comfortable in a conservative synagogue, although I%26#39;d be willing to try something new. Any recommendations for synagogues that would be open to visitors for the High Holidays? I%26#39;d certainly be willing to purchase a seat, if necessary.




|||



I%26#39;m a very unobservant Jew who was walking back from grocery shopping with my bags and stopped to take a picture of the synagogue on Rue des Tournelles (in the Marais) because the lights were coming through the windows and it looked good - without realizing it was the night before Yom Kippur. A very nice man in jeans came across the street, asked me if I was Jewish and invited me in to the temple for services. There were some women dressed up and in wigs, but the men were all very casual - I was pretty surprised. I gestured at my jeans (I had come from a day at Versailles and was gritty to say the least!), Monoprix bags and camera bag but he kept saying it wouldnt be a problem.





I was also invited home for Yom Kippur by a woman sitting at the next table at L%26#39;Epi Dupin who was definitely not Orthodox! I would bet you can find a conservative synagogue somewhere.




|||



As a lapsed (!) Catholic (whatever that is!), I can%26#39;t guarantee that this post is much help...but I ran a search on the web for conservative Paris synagogues and came up with one in the 17e called Kehilat Gesher. You might want to check their website for more pertinent information.



Have a great trip!




|||



geocities.com/yldcohen/…paris96kash.html





This website has many helpful links and a lot of helpful information for the Jewish traveler in Paris. They have a list of all the synagouges and I%26#39;m sure that if you call one and ask them to recommend a conservative synagouge they will be happy to.





Bon chance and Happy New Year!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 08, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment