Saturday, April 21, 2012

Getting to/from Paris!

Hello everyone!:)





I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for travel options for getting to Paris from Amsterdam. Also, after Paris, I will be heading to Nice.





Any suggestions would be great!





Also what is the preferable airport in France? (The Orly or Charles de Gaulle)





Thanks a lot!




|||



CDG is the preferred airport





For Nice take Air France thru CDG it is about an hour flight.





Amsterdam not sure...but their major airline is KLM I believe I am pretty sure they have direct flights to CDG. Then take RER B to the city center.




|||



Personally, CDG is not my favorite airport to fly in or out of. Flying my be faster, but not by much when compared to trains. I%26#39;d recommend the Thalys/TGV from Amsterdam to Paris. It arrives at Gare du Nord which is in the city centre and also a major Metro station. I%26#39;d also recommend taking a TGV from Paris out of Gare de Lyon to Nice (most involve a change of trains in Lyon).





All things considered, flying is faster, except that airport security and check-in times are far longer, and frustrating!





Amsterdam%26#39;s Schipol Airport is the most efficient and easiest airport I%26#39;ve been through in Europe. In 2006, we arrived at 7:00 AM and had retrieved our luggage, cleared customs and had checked into our hotel by 8:00 AM!





I%26#39;ve taken the Thalys from %26quot;the Dam%26quot; to Paris and Eurostar from London to Paris - both arrive at Gare du Nord. One of the big advantages of taking the train is that the stations are generally in the city centre. You don%26#39;t have to waste time traveling outside a city to the airport AND the check-in/security times are far faster than at an airport! Yeah, the RER from CDG is no big hassle, but arriving at Gare du Nord is really convenient.





I didn%26#39;t check Ryanair or Easyjet, but 2nd classe tickets on a TGV are pretty affordable - Also, I just love travelling by train although you usually don%26#39;t see much on a TGV. I%26#39;d use the train trip time as a chance for a picnic! Buy some bread, cheese, meat, fruit, yogurt - even a bottle of wine(!) and bring it on the train with you! (they only serve meals in Premiere Classe on the TGV%26#39;s). No one cares.......





Bon Chance!




|||



Hi, not sure what you mean by %26quot;preferred airport%26quot; , I would consider both Orly and CDG to be fine. One advantage I have noticed is that as a Canadain we fly in and out of a small terminal.. so I have found both arrivals and departures to be pretty fast and easy. I think airlines from the States fly into a busy and bigger terminal.. they( Americans here on the forums) are always saying how bad it is for them, longer waits etc.. big planes all arriving at once and hundreds and hundreds to go through security etc.. I have never had that experience yet.



I did fly out of one of the bigger terminals when I flew from Paris to Rome on Vueling , and yes, it wasn%26#39;t as nice , and was more confusing.





I would just take the train to Paris from Amsterdam.. city center to city center basically.





The one airport that also serves Paris is Beauvais, and that one is farther out, and is more of a hassle to get to and from. I think it takes mostly the discount airlines, but I am no expert on that.




|||



For my flight from Paris to Rome this summer I booked and flew with Vueling,, it was 80 euros one way,, as opposed to Air France which ,, seriously was going to charge me hundreds of euros,, I can%26#39;t even remember now what it was, but I was in shock. Check out Vueling, it was a newer plane, and on time, no complaints.




|||



We took the train from Paris to Amsterdam in June. Great scenic ride, great service (we went first class for a treat) and only a couple of hours. No hassles what so ever. The train stations are in the city centre so transportation from the station to your accom is easy. We walked in Amsterdam...took the metro in Paris.





You will love it.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 07, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment