Wednesday, April 25, 2012

dont speak french

dont speak any french (chose german at school) was wondering if ill get around ok.



i went 6yrs ago for day trip but had a friend who spoke french and used it on our behaves in some place.



I know its ignorant but do most resturant staff and shops staff speak english??




|||



A few will speak English, but I%26#39;m not sure speaking French will really help you anyway. The accent is so different to anything you would expect as to be unintelligible (I was just about to say it%26#39;s like listening to Geordie, then I looked up...............) :¬)





I got on OK in Lille with phrasebook french, as long as you try the French you know (the greetings, mannery stuff) you will find people would rather speak what little English they have than listen to you murdering French. Thats how it works with me anyway!




|||



Why not learn the basic phrases before you go? Check out Michel Thomas Beginning French. An excellent introduction to the basics of the language.




|||



I found I was speaking in French...and everybody was answering in English! English was certainly not a problem wherever I went but I think I need to take the hint and practise my French!





Deb




|||



%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;The accent is so different to anything you would expect as to be unintelligible %26gt;%26gt;%26gt;





Wiz,





Perhaps you have seen %26quot;Bienvenue chez les Ch%26#39;tis%26quot;.




|||



You could always ask, %26quot;Sprechen sie Deutsch?%26quot; Quite a few French speak German and indeed vice versa. However delighted to see that you that you chose German, I wish I had but had no option.




|||



If you were just to speak English it would not be a problem most of the restaurants in the center of Lille display their menus in English so you should have no problems.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, October 05, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment