Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Crowds at the Louvre on Friday Nights in December

We%26#39;ll be in Paris the first week of December. In planning our itinerary and to maximize our time, I was planning for us to go to the Louvre on Friday night, when it is open late. I%26#39;m just wondering how crowded it typically is on those late nights.





Also, I%26#39;m weighing not buying the museum pass and just buying tickets there. Based on what I%26#39;ve read, I don%26#39;t think it will be tooo busy at that time of year. Last time I was there, it was early fall and was very busy so the pass was a good value. But this is my first trip there in December, so am not sure what to expect with crowds and lines.





Thanks!




|||



My experience with the Louvres late evenings is the best time to go is around 4-5,, when the day people are getting tired and heading back to their hotels to rest , shower and change for dinner.. I then stay till closing as I am obssesed and love to spend hours there,,,LOL . Then go for a late dinner..





I have never used the Museum pass. I find can avoid most lines ( the Louvre is one of the easy ones, just use underground entrance and buy tickets from machine) by planning, or using lesser known entrances.



The pass does not allow line skipping at the two sites that always have nasty lines, the ET and the Towers at Notre Dame. I just have decided the best way to avoid the lines there is to go first thing to them, especially the ND towers. Sometimes you can get lucky with line lulls at the ET in the evening.



I find the lines at St Chapelle move fairly quickly, but , I don%26#39;t mind waiting a bit, I find 20-30 minutes in line to be a good rest sometimes..No lines lines at the Concierge last two times I went. I tend to return to places over and over.





Consider visiting the Shoah ( Holocaust) Museum in the 4th,, it was very very moving, and no lines( and no crowds) , and free!! It was an eyeopener for a North American like me, we have nothing like that here. I am not even Jewish, ,but my 12 yr old read Ann Franks Diary, and Hiding Edith( similar to AFD) and wanted to see this museum.





This summer we only waited 15 minutes or so at the Orsay,, just lucky I guess, went around 10:30 am.





Cluny and Rodin don%26#39;t usaully have line issues.



Haven%26#39;t done Orangerie or Picasso so no idea.





I think you will find that you will not have too much trouble with lines. I always have to go in summer , so I am somewhat used to crowds and waiting, but I don%26#39;t mind too much.




|||



We went to the Louvre last Friday, Sept 12 around 5;30 and there was no line at all to enter, and we went in through the pyramid, so I doubt you%26#39;ll encounter any problems doing the same in December.




|||



Wednesday and Friday evenings are my favorite times to visit the Louvre, as Joan said, go late afternoon/early evening when the daytime crowd departs. They close at 9:00. Not crowded, you can step back and view the massive Italian paintings without stepping on people. You don%26#39;t need a pass in December probably, although l%26#39;Organgerie can have lines, too. The thing about December is it will be cold and maybe raining, and you can be waiting outside as with l%26#39;Orangerie or d%26#39;Orsay: yes, Joan hit it lucky there with a 15-minute wait at 10:30, the line we saw on a Wednesday at the same time in June looked to be an hour wait. The best thing about the pass other than skipping ticket lines was being able to to a second or third time to a museum, like the Louvre, we had a four-day pass and stayed nearby, so we popped in each day for a while, two of those evenings.




|||



Regardless I recommend the museum pass. I bring groups to Paris often, and at various times of the year, and there are always lines at most of the museums. It feels great to breeze right in, especially in the cold weather.





Plus, you never know when you might decide to try a museum that you otherwise wouldn%26#39;t if you had to pay for it. The pass gives you great flexibility.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 pm, October 08, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment