Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Back to Paris for a Long Weekend - Crazy?

Well we%26#39;ve been back from our vacation in Paris and Venice for just under a month now, and we%26#39;re horribly depressed. It seems the only cure is to plan another trip.





So we%26#39;re toying with the idea of going back to Paris in May for a long weekend. Flying out Thursday night, arriving Friday morning, and flying back on Monday around noon.





Any opinions from other travelers from North America who have done this? Did you feel like it was a good plan? Or did you feel like you spent too much money and time flying there for such a short period of time?





We plan on doing this trip much more inexpensively than the last one. We will be flying Air Transat and staying in an apartment. I have been looking at some on vrbo and they look great. Can you really get a decent apartment in a good location for 125 euros a night? Is it too good to be true? We%26#39;re looking mostly at the apartments in the 1st arrondissement.





Although the short period of time is not ideal, it seems it would be the only way we could manage the trip. Otherwise we would be looking at waiting for a few years to do another long trip. I%26#39;m feeling too impatient for that! Your thoughts?




|||



I have done this a few times i.e. on Thanksgiving week end. Also went to London for week end once. If it makes you happy and you can swing it, go for it!



Life is uncertain, better eat dessert first!




|||



Der pmmcTO....Well maybe you are crazy, but does it matter? Welcome to the club.





I am going to Paris for a week on 1st October and I have just booked more flights for 6th-9th December because I feel exactly like you! That will be my THIRD trip this year.





I know it%26#39;s easier for me because I live in the UK and flights are cheap, but it is all relative, I am not a wealthy woman so to me it is a lot of money, even though I do it on a budget.





Check out Centreparis for budget apartments. I think the ones in the second are very well situated. I have stayed there near rue Montorguiel and it is good.





centreparis.com/location-paris/…index.html





I just feel that life is too short and going to Paris is my pleasure in life, I just love it!



This time I am going solo, which is an adventure in itself.



Really I could do with a new front door, but that can wait. The memories i have of Paris are much better than an old door.





Many airlines are going down here so cheap flights may be a thing of the past soon. So I am making the most of life. This is something I have learned in my life.... grab your opportunities while you can.





Denise



Love from England




|||



I think you%26#39;ll love it. I%26#39;ve done several %26quot;long weekend%26quot; trips in the last few years timed exactly like yours (one to Dublin, one to London, one to Zurich and one to Paris), and I didn%26#39;t regret any of them.




|||



Ditto the other comments. We%26#39;ve gone to London for a long weekend and are planning our first trip to Paris for Thanksgiving weekend. It is do-able. I say go for it and enjoy!




|||



Thank you all for your input. It%26#39;s nice to know that at least if we are crazy, we%26#39;re in excellent company!





Thank you Denise for the link for the budget apartments. The one you stayed at - was it the Saint Sauveur in Montorgeuil? What is that area like? Is it safe at night? It looks like it might fit the bill quite nicely.





Thanks once again.




|||



We stayed in Aboukir 4 you can read review here under the category %26quot;Paris guest apartments.%26quot;





http://www.ourparisforum.com./index.cgi?board=apartments%26amp;action=display%26amp;thread=2033





I quite fancy the Saint-Savour, Greneta or Tiquetonne apartments for next year. They are just off Montorguiel which is a great market street. I loved this area, central but not too touristy or expensive. Easy transport links,plenty restaurants and shops.





Denise



Love from England




|||



ever since flying 26 hours back from SE Asia in 1997, I dont hesitate to book long weekend deals to Europe.... Deals being the key word! I%26#39;ve paid less to fly RTP to London for than 1 night at the hotel cost.




|||



pmmmcTO - yes you are crazy but it%26#39;s nice to be crazy sometimes. If you can afford it I%26#39;d say go for it. I spent a weekend in Rome once (meant to be guiding my parents around but they had to cancel - already bought my ticket %26amp; booked a B%26amp;B so I went by myself) and it was great - just try to stay on Eastern Standard Time all 3 days - maybe trying to get up %26amp; going to bed earlier for a few days before you go. I%26#39;m visiting Paris for the first time this October and staying in an apartment with Vacation in Paris - was $170US per night. I%26#39;ll post a review on the Forum once I get back.




|||



Hello!





I am in the same boat, travelling a bit farther from Edmonton though this Thanksgiving long weekend. I am leaving Edmonton on Thursday evening, arriving Friday morning, and leaving Tuesday morning.





I do not think that it%26#39;s too much, but it would be up to you. The last time i went to Paris, i was there for 4 days, and it was a great time. Not too long, and not too short.





I%26#39;m of the mindset that I can sleep later, sleep on planes and trains. We are even taking a day trip to London this time!





So take care and enjoy, and create a memorable long weekend, I know i will!




|||



Thanks for the great responses! Denise, I showed the Saint Sauveur apartment to my DH and we both feel that one looks great. So the owner is decent and you had a good experience staying at one of their apartments in the past?





Since we stayed in the 1st the last time, we%26#39;ll try the 2nd this time. Rue Montorgeuil looks fun! I%26#39;ve read from searches on this forum that it%26#39;s a great area but best to avoid Les Halles at nighttime, so duly noted.





My family thinks we%26#39;re a bit wacky going back so soon and for such a short time, but as other posters have noted, you only live once. And I further justify our decision by reminding myself that we rarely go out for dinner or spend on ourselves here at home. So a short jaunt to Paris will make up for it!





Thanks to all for making me feel better about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment